- The Regina Rams' attendance figures kind of pale next to what the U of S Huskies and the CFL's Roughriders pull in. (Regina Leader-Post)
- Wide receiver Dave Stala (Saint Mary's) is quietly enjoying a comeback season with his hometown Hamilton Tiger-Cats (Hamilton Spectator)
- Windsor grad Sasha Glavic has signed with the Tiger-Cats. (TicatsPR)
- The release announcing Ottawa's Jordan Wilson-Ross as an OUA player of the week calls him a "first-year running back." He had one season at a juco. There seems to be some dispute whether that counts. (press release)
- Is Queen's QB Dan Brannagan going to play Saturday vs. the Gee-Gees?
- It is noteworthy that the Saskatchewan Roughriders started 10 Canadians (three more than the minimum) on Sunday when they drove 55 points down the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' throats. That includes CIS alumni such as guard Gene Makowsky (Saskatchewan), tackle Chris Best (Waterloo), slotback Andy Fantuz (Western), linebacker Mike McCullough (St. FX) and wideout Rob Bagg (Queen's).
By the way, the 'Riders roster on CFL.ca lists Bagg's college as "Queens." The other Golden Gael on the 'Riders, defensive tackle Kevin Scott, is listed as a graduate of "Queen's." (Regina Leader-Post)
- From the sounds of Mark Wacyk's capsule characterization, young UNB coach Brent Baker has some talented guards with the likes of sophomore Antwann Parks and new recruits Dan Quirion and Gabuchu Ibrahim. Being in the AUS Final 6 is still a ways away for the Varsity Reds. (cishoops.ca)
- Former Belleville Bulls defenceman Robert Stellick has headed down the 401 to skate for Queen's.
For anyone wondering, Stellick is a nephew of FAN 590 host Gord Stellick. That raises the question: Is the circle complete if a family member of a Toronto Maple Leafs GM from the Harold Ballard era is going to university not far from where Harold once did time in the service of the country (Bath Institution)? (press release)
Generally speaking ...
- No doubt there are some strong opinions about Canada West making Simon Fraser a probationary member which can't vote on conference issues. It seems reasonable. Do you let the graduating seniors vote for the student council president for the following school year? (press release)
- Should Canadian Interuniversity Sport sanction women's softball? Several OUA and Canada West schools have varsity teams. (Blair Necessities)
- Best wishes go out to Dan Carle, who is in his last day on the job as Ottawa's sports information co-ordinator. Dan is a consummate professional and went well beyond the call of duty during his turn at uOttawa.