- Former Saskatchewan Huskies linebacker Lyndon Rush is due to compete in 2010 Olympics in bobsled, as you might know.
Another CIS linebacker, the Ottawa Gee-Gees' James McNaughton, has been invited to Bobsleigh Canada's national skeleton development camp at Canada Olympic Park August 14-21.
"I’m so fresh to it. I have never pushed a sled before," said McNaughton, who will be joined by two CIS football friends for the exciting and unplanned odyssey.The camp will not affect McNaughton's participation in Gee-Gees training camp, which begins Aug. 24. (press release; ctvolympics.ca has added it)
"It’s right out of nowhere. I had no clue I would ever be doing this,” McNaughton said. “It’s pretty exciting to say the least."
- Linebacker/special-teamer Mike McCullough (St. FX) might start at middle linebacker fo the Saskatchewan Roughriders this week. Also of note: Defensive back Leron Mitchell (Western), whose 2008 season was cut short by a broken leg, is practising again. (Rider Rumblings)
- Defensive end Justin Phillips (Laurier) will indeed start for the Calgary Stampeders. Wideout Blaine Kruger (UBC) is likely a healthy scratch. (CFL Buzz)
- Long story short, the University of Colorado decided to have a football player blog. He wrote about his sex life. Hopefully this would not put any athletic departments off setting up a player blog; it's more of an isolated incident. (Deadspin)
- Guy Flaming of Edmonton's TEAM 1260 ranks the top 5 men's hockey recruiting classes. No OUA schools are on the list (don't look so shocked) and the Alberta Golden Bears are not the top-ranked Canada West team (OK, you may look shocked).
Who's No. 1? Please be sporting and click through. (Coming Down The Pipe!)
- Columbus Dispatch reports on Jared Aulin (Calgary Dinos) attending the Blue Jackets' camp as a non-roster invitee. (Puck-Rakers)
- Mark Wacyk outlines how the "new-look" Manitoba Bisons are coming together under first-year coach Kirby Scheff. (cishoops.ca)