- Congratulations to the Saint Mary's Huskies for winning their first ever CIS men's hockey championship! It was a great game and they are deserving winners. Also congrats to Alberta for again showing they are a class act.
- Watching Huskies coach Trevor Stienburg during his post-game interview on Rogers Sportsnet brought tears to my eyes ... I admit it. It was a very heartwarming moment and I am very happy for him.
- Mike Danton getting a national championship is also a story to cheer about and also reflects very well on coach Stienburg, his team, and Saint Mary's.
- I am often critical of the national media on either its lack of coverage of CIS sports or its poor coverage when they do show up. So now, credit where credit is due. Last year at the 2009 men's hockey nationals in Thunder Bay, I was vocal critic of Sportsnet's coverage.
I doubt anything I said affected this year's coverage, but am happy to say that I think this year they did a hell of a great job. Bringing in Rob Faulds for play by play this year was a fantastic choice. He was enthusiastic about the CIS game and it showed. Full marks to colour man Sam Cosentino for upping his game from last year as well. He still mentioned the players' major junior connections a lot. This year, he put brought relevance to these mentions and he didn't concentrate on them. He also knew the players' CIS stats, who were the award winners in the conferences.
It was major sea change from last year's coverage. And the graphics this year had the players' CIS stats, good live interviews and features, great effort overall.
- Again, excellent job Sportsnet (except for the tape delay thing; never, never, never tape delay a live championship game please!).
Also kudos to Sportsnet for allowing their TV feed to be carried Streaming Sports Network Canada at last year's and this year's championships, unlike another Canadian sports network which shall remain nameless. In fact, if not for the videocast; I could not have watched tonight's final game live.
- As mentioned before; live international videocasting of all championship games needs to be mandatory for the CIS when it draws up its broadcasting contracts. Also, no tape delays of TV games in that contract.
- Now that Sportsnet has done the men's hockey for two years; I am wondering what will happen in 2011 in Fredericton when UNB hosts? Will the CIS and the hosts bring in another network? Will they stick with Sportsnet?
My vote is they stick with Sportsnet and bring back Faulds and Cosentino and build up a relationship for this sport with Sportsnet and try to get some consistency going; i.e. how TSN did it with the world junior hockey championship and how CBS did with the NCAA basketball tournament.
Maybe this is an approach the CIS should look at. Build relationships with the various networks for various sports instead of an overall grouped package.
- Again, congrats to Saint Mary's for winning the University Cup, to Trevor Stienburg and Mike Danton for making us all feel good, and to Sportsnet for really stepping it up this year.
Aylward: An uplifting University Cup
Mike Aylward sends along some post-University Cup thoughts.