Alberta had a Canada West-high 21 passes intercepted while going 2-6 last season and as Marchand told his hometown paper (some time back, he typed, red-faced), he would like to get that down to "non-double digits."
Coach Jerry Friesen's team has nosedived a bit since going 7-1 in the regular season in 2005 (before a certain team from the next province order, which also wears green, no, not Regina, restored the natural order in the playoffs). Alberta has 12 recruits coming in from junior football, including:
- RB Harpreet Turka and O-lineman Will Henry, both CJFL all-stars in 2008 with the Winnipeg Rifles. Defensive back Terrence Coutou, also of the Rifles, has committed.
- DB Hayden Bell (Victoria Rebels).
- Pass rusher Corey Kuzik, who led B.C. junior football in sacks last season while playing for the Okanagan Sun.
- OL Darek Graff and receiver Ryan Meraw from the Edmonton Wildcats.
- Lane Bell, linebacker/long snapper, and receiver Chris Klevin from the Calgary Colts.
- Receiver Rob O'Connell (Kamloops Broncos).
- LB Bo Onyschuck, another Calgary transfer who won two CJFL titles with the Edmonton Huskies.