Now with more updates!
- AUS – UNB @ Acadia. Battle of two of the three teams tied for first place in the AUS sees top-ranked Varsity Reds in Wolfville to play the 7th ranked Axemen. Home ice advantage on the Olympic-sized surface may give Acadia the edge in this much anticipated game. How big a game? The V-Reds are traveling down Thursday evening to avoid bus legs.
- Special teams were the difference in this tight-checking game, especially since Acadia scored three power play goals in the first period for early lead and held on for a 4-2 win.
- Canada West – Sask. @ UBC. Another battle for first place, but the 10th ranked 4-1-1 Thunderbirds will be playing a traditional CanWest power for the first time this season in the No.2 ranked Huskies. Home teams usually have the edge, but a win for UBC would add a lot of legitimacy to their place in the standings.
- UBC blew leads twice as the Huskies got the comeback 5-4 win.
- OUA East – Ottawa @ Carleton. Last week in the National Capital Battle (not sure what they call this one) the Ravens won 5-2 in the Gee-Gees rink. Now it is Carleton’s turn to host.
- This rivalry game finished with a combined 28 minor penalties and 5-2 win for Ottawa.
- OUA West – Western @ Lakehead. Traditionally strong Mustangs seem to be in hangover mode after losing the national championship in OT in March. Lakehead players rebelled and got their coach sacked, and then a few days later pushed Laurier to OT and then won 4-0 against them the next day. Quite a week for the 8th ranked team.
- Lakehead built up 3-goal lead in front of over 3000 fans and Western scored twice in the third period to make it close.
- AUS – StFX @ UdeM. The 5th ranked X-Men, who may or may not still have a share of 1st place by Saturday, take on the 6th ranked Aigles Bleus in M oncton.
- Raphael Pouliot and Guillaume Paranteau each had a pair of goals to power Moncton to a 4-2 win and move into sole possession of first place in the AUS.
- Canada West – Manitoba @ Calgary. Since western teams play weekend pairs of games, you can just as easily swap the Friday and Saturday picks. The 9th ranked Dinos haven’t played any of the big boys yet in conference play. Now they get the Bisons.
- After a 4-1 loss the night before the Dinos rebounded with a 3-2 overtime shootout win to split the weekend with the Bisons (who pick up 3 points).
- OUA East – Neither game looks very big. Sorry.
- OUA West – Windsor @ Waterloo. The Lancers and Warriors battle for second place in the standings.
- Lots of goals in this one as Windsor outshot Waterloo 40-28 in 7-5 win. Warriors scored twice in third period to make it close, but Lancers got the empty-netter for insurance.
- OUA East – UQTR @ Ottawa. Wednesday night les Patriotes lost 4-0 lost in the Ravens’ nest. Now they visit the GeeGees’ stable. Luvin’ Ottawa much?
- Raphael Boudreau scored 53 seconds into overtime to give les Patriotes the 3-2 win.