The afternoon game did go much like I anticipated -- I figured StFX would play much better than their bad start on Thursday and give Alberta all they could handle. Two goals called back (only the first play was controversial in my opinion) and some missed opportunities and Alberta might have won this one, but Joey Perricone was strong in the StFX net and the X-Men get the big 3-1 win. So with Alberta and StFX each having a loss, the tie breaking formulas come into effect today. The easiest thing to remember is that McGill controls their destiny. If they win, they're in the Sunday's championship game. If the Redmen lose, they are eliminated. And if they lose, the margin of their loss determines who does advance:
- If McGill loses by 1 goal, StFX advances.
- If McGill loses by 2 goals, StFX advances.
- If McGill loses 3-0, StFX and Alberta are tied by the first four tie-breaking formulae, so the Golden Bears and X-Men will play go to shootouts to see who advances. (Really!)
- If McGill loses by 3 goals, (other than 3-0) and StFX advances.
- If McGill loses by 4 goals, Alberta advances.